If you feel that you might be experiencing depression or anxiety there are many strategies and ways of getting support that’s right for you.
- GP. Your GP can assist in making an assessment, discuss treatments, prescribe medication and/or refer you to a specialised services or agencies, such as a psychologist and psychiatrist..
- Psychologist. A psychologist is a health professional who can provide therapy and counselling to assist in managing mental health issues, but cannot prescribe medication.
- Psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a doctor that specialises in mental health and can make assessments, conduct tests, provide therapy, and prescribe medication.
You may also want to speak to an external crisis counselling and support service such as:
- Need to talk? Free call or text 1737 any time for support from a trained counsellor
- Lifeline 0800 543 354 or 09 522 2999 or free text 4357 (HELP)
- Suicide Prevention Helpline 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOK0)
- Youthline 0800 376 633 or free text 234
- Samaritans 0800 726 666.